Recipe: Bhindi Fry
Preparation Time : 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serves: 2 servings
250 grams bhindi or ladies finger or okra
3 or 4 tbsps oil
1/2 tsp cumin or jeera
3/4 to 1 cup onions (finely chopped)
Salt as needed
1 green chilli
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 to 1 tsp red chili powder
3/4 to 1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
Water as needed
1. Wash bhindi under running water well. Drain them and wipe off with a clean kitchen cloth or tissues.
2. Chop off both the ends and discard the. Chop them to 3/4 inch pieces.
3. Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. Saute bhindi on a medium flame for about to 5 to 7 mins stirring often until they are partially cooked. At the end of this step bhindi should not be sticky.
4. Transfer them to a plate ans set aside.
1. Add 2 tbsp oil to more to the pan. Add cumin.
2. When they begin to splutter add onions and green chili. Saute them until they turn golden.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 to 3 mins till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
4. Add tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy
5. Add red chili powder, turmeric and garam masala
6. Mix everything well and saute until the mixture leaves the pan
7. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup water to cook the masala. Check the salt and adjust as needed. Do not add too much water.
8. Add fenugreek leaves and friend bhindi. Mix everything well
9. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until bhindi turns slightly tender and the aroma comes out.
10. Open the lid and evaporate any excess moisture
11. Serve bhindi masala with roti or rice.